We finally got around to doing some real life design technology. We are always running out of bookmarks at home so we decided to make some more. Firstly we looked at those we already had and evaluated the designs. We found many problems with our current collection.
- Ripped and torn
- Folded and scrunched
- Too small for large books
- Tendency to fall out of the books
- Magnetic ones had too strong magnets
We discussed ways in which the designs could be improved to address these problems and we discussed which materials would be appropriate.
The children drew their ideas on paper and then constructed their bookmark.
L chose wood and fabric for her design. R used metal (from a purée tube), which was laminated for strength and safety. L's design is at the top of the page. Here's R's.