This week in science we have been learning about renewable and non-renewable resources and recycling. We decided to have a go at recycling some of our old drawings into new paper. Luckily I had picked up a paper making kit in a yard sale a while back. Just in case you are wondering about the eye make-up we were still being Egyptians today.
First step was to rip up lots of paper and soak it overnight in water. Then we blended small amounts at a time in the kitchen blender (food and art preparation overlaps a lot in this house!). Water and slushy paper got splatted pretty much everywhere.
|A disgusting paper pulp.|
We took the next stage outside. First we put some pulp and more water in a large container. Then we assembled the mould, net and deckle on top of each other.
|Assembling the paper making frame|
Next we lowered the frame into the pulp mixture and caught up some pulp on the top. We let some of the water drain back into the tub.
|Lowering the frame into the pulp|
|Letting water drain out|
|Lifting out some paper|
|Letting it drain|
The next job was to remove the deckle, lift up the paper on the net, and turn it onto a drying board.
|Removing the deckle|
We tried putting some leaves and shells on some of the drying boards to give out paper some texture.
|Adding leaves to make an imprint|
|Placing the paper and net onto the drying board.|
Next we used a sponge over the net to soak up the excess water and then we removed the net.
|Soaking up excess water|
|L's first piece of paper ready to dry.|
We left the boards and paper to dry in the sun. Then it was a simple matter of flexing the boards to loosen the paper and peeling it off.
Here are the results:
|Finished papers some textured, some plain|
|A sheet of paper with leaf imprints|
I'm not sure what we are going to do with the paper yet, but I'll think of something.